Every Friday Uncorkd compiles the most recent restaurant and beverage industry stories that had us talking. Here is the can’t miss news from February 27th – March 4th.
- Oregon pinot noir is in high demand. Oregon has hit the 3-million cases shipped mark. The upswing is driven by consumers who, equipped with angry balled-fists, are demanding more of the fruit-forward varietal. Maybe it’s time to add one to your wine list.
- Are you a fan of South Australian wine? The Vinlluminati are predicating 2016 to be a “stand-out year.” Start stocking your cellar now. The region is known for its white and red varietals like semillon and chardonnay; the big reds of the region are cabernet and grenache.
- Wine producers in Spain have a new approach to tempranillo wines. The grape is the second-most planted grape in Spain, but its most popular varietal outside of Spain. Some rogue winemakers are releasing younger, organic tempranillo wines; this creates a much lighter option than the oak-dominated styles of aged tempranillo.
- Wild Turkey whiskey is surging in popularity. But it’s not necessarily from Wild Turkey 101, the bottle known to be Hunter S. Thompson’s muse. Wild Turkey’s premium offerings like the Russell’s Reserve line have boomed in popularity lately as an affordable but high-quality entry level whiskey.
- Are you looking for a new premium vodka to stock on your back bar? Well Pernod-Ricard might have one for you. Smithworks, a new vodka being released stateside, has the words “smith” and “works” on the label, which is a pretty transparent attempt by a multinational company to trick you into thinking you’re buying a craft product. It’s like MillerCoors Smith & Forge Hard Cider. It’s also being backed by Blake Shelton, so stock it if your customers are fans of country music, The Voice, or creepy pizza hut ads.
- Looking to revamp your bar program? Here are 5 Simple Steps to Modernize Your Bar Program. Do it. You know you want to.
- Once you modernize your bar, make sure your bartender’s know how to make these 10+ Classic Cocktails.
That’s all for this week’s Uncorkd Weekly News Round Up. Check in with us next Friday to find the stories you missed during the week.
Latest posts by Kyle Thacker (see all)
- 5 Fall Cocktails to Capture the Flavors of Autumn - September 26, 2018
- How Restaurants Can Ignore Sales and Increase Profits - May 9, 2018
- 2018 Spring Wine Trends - April 18, 2018